Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Biking Trip

Photo taken by our trip leader Morgaine Jennings
On the Ferry heading to Plattsburgh NY
I consider myself to be an adventurous guy because I am always open to trying new things.  On Saturday October 29, Champlain College announced a biking trip to Plattsburgh, New York and there was a large group signed up. Those of us who didn’t have our own bikes rented bikes from the Skirack and Champlain College paid for us.  I was upset and disappointed at first because it didn’t let me to sign up online, saying “list was full”, but somehow they let me go. When our group leader said that I was good to go, it made happy and excited again. 

We left Champlain around 10 in the morning and went to Skirack to get our bikes and then we took the Ferry to the other side of Lake Champlain which was sunny and nice but chilly outside.  I had five bottles of water with me to drink in case I got dehydrated and we started biking right after we got off the boat.  Biking was a big challenge for me because I only learned to  bike in 2007 and since then I only biked once on the streets of New York in 2010. 

When we arrived to Plattsburgh New York on a Saturday around lunch time and our leader gave us only 1 hour to relax and to have lunch because we had to get the Ferry back to Vermont.  The roads were good but there were so many hills to climb and those long hills killed our legs. Since we didn’t want to miss the Ferry we had to bike fast because we had half an hour to catch Ferry.  We arrived to the place where we had to take the Ferry 15 minutes early  and everyone looked exhausted. We realized that we all biked about 35 miles that day and for me, as a new biker, it was like participating in a national bike race. I was proud, patted myself on the back and said that “YES! Assad you are actually an adventurous guy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment